A small electrical fire on Thursday morning forced a short evacuation of students at Deer Park Middle School.
Units from Spokane County Fire District No. 4’s Stations 41 (Deer Park), 42 (Chattaroy) and 46 (Riverside) were dispatched to the scene after it was reported a large amount of smoke was accumulating in a sixth grade portable classroom.
An investigation by SCFD4 personnel attributed the smoke to an electrical malfunction.
SCFD4 officials said the smoke, while uncomfortable, was not a serious health hazard.
While firefighters assessed the fire situation, the DPMS student body was mustered on the football field.
A short time later, Principal Tim Oletti let the students back into the main school building. Sixth grade students were kept out of the portable classrooms as school district maintenance personnel began ventilating those classrooms.