Skip to main content

Two arrested after U.S. 395 car chase

October 24, 2013

Updated story
A police chase that started in Spokane Valley, traveled along U.S. Highway 395 near Deer Park and ended near the Wandermere Bridge with the arrest of two men.
Spokane Valley Sheriff's Deputies David Lawhorn and Lamont Petersen responded to a suspicious vehicle call at E6623 Trent Ave. Both deputies approached the suspicious vehicle on a dead-end road. When the driver of the vehicle saw the deputies, he accelerated towards Petersen's marked patrol vehicle at a high rate of speed with no lights on.
Petersen had to swerve away from the vehicle so he was not struck. The suspect vehicle nearly struck Lawhorn's marked patrol vehicle before fleeing onto Trent.
At that point the deputies advised dispatch they were in pursuit of the vehicle, which returned stolen. Multiple deputies and Spokane Police Department officers were involved in the pursuit as it continued into northeast Spokane, north to the Deer Park area, then south where deputies were able to disable the suspect vehicle using spike strips near U.S. 395 and Monroe Road.
The passenger, later identified as 29-year-old Jason Harris, was throwing debris out the window at deputies during the majority of the pursuit.
Shortly after the tires deflated, the male driver and Harris ran northbound from the vehicle on the south side of the Wandermere Bridge towards the Wandermere Golf Course.
Sheriff K9 Deputy S. Stipe and his partner Brax were able to track Harris to a fence north of the highway where he was taken into custody.
Harris was booked into the Spokane County Jail on reckless endangerment, felony eluding, resisting arrest and possession of a stolen motor vehicle charges.
A short time later deputies responded to Quartz and East Wandermere Estates lanes on a suspicious person call. Deputies searched the area for the suspicious person and eventually found 36-year-old Scott M. Fraser.
Since Fraser matched the driver's description from this morning's pursuit, Deputy Dale Wells was called to the scene. Wells had been behind Fraser for approximately 30 miles during this morning's pursuit and saw his face multiple times when Fraser looked out the driver's side window. Wells positively identified Fraser as the vehicle driver.
Fraser, who has a long criminal history, was booked into the Spokane County Jail second-degree assault, felony eluding, possession of a stolen motor vehicle, reckless endangerment and resisting arrest charges.

Spokane County Fire District No. 4, Stevens County Fire District No. 1 and Department of Natural Resources firefighters...
Deer Park's annual street preservation project project came to an end on Friday. The $234,000 project included the...
Northwest MedStar, one of the region’s premier critical care transport services, Deer Park Ambulance and Stevens County...
David Hickman of Richland has set a new state record for the largest tiger muskie caught in state...
High school football teams across the state opened up practices today. The Deer Park Stags will...
Eli and Peyton Manning try out their rapping skills.


Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes